Ways You Can Help
Growing and Serving Through Generosity
Like many of you, The Doorways is learning to grow and serve our mission in new ways. We continue to serve around 50 guests everyday and their care and safety is more important to us than ever. We need your help to keep our doors open and keep The Doorways a home away from home.
Here are some of the ways you can help make a difference today:
- Funds online so that we can continue to provide lodging to those who travel to Richmond for medical reasons (the average cost of lodging per person per day is $50).
- Grocery store or Amazon gift cards so that our staff can purchase groceries and other necessities for our guests.
Provide In-Kind Donations
- During this time we are encouraging donations from our Amazon Wish List. We are continually updating this to reflect our current needs.
- Other items can be dropped off at the front desk anytime.
Provide a Meal
- Volunteer to prepare and serve a meal in house to our guests.
- Groups of less than 10 only at this time.
- Pay for food to be delivered via a grocery store or restaurant.
- Meals should serve 35 people.
- For sponsor a meal options - All meals must be prepared in a commercial kitchen (no homemade dishes) and must be coordinated through The Doorways staff.
The Doorways’ mission is to provide lodging and support for patients and their loved ones who need to be close to the hospital but not far from the feeling of home.
An Update from the President & CEO
Dear Friends of The Doorways,
I want to take a moment to connect with you directly as the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to impact our lives. The Doorways is committed to protecting the health and well-being of our community, and we are focused on doing everything we can to keep our facility safe and protected from the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. We are closely monitoring the situation on a daily basis and revising our contingency plans as needed. The following are the steps we are taking to help prevent the spread of the virus and support the health of our guests, staff, volunteers, vendors and partners.
- We continue to use CDC-approved guidelines and CDC-approved products for cleaning and sanitizing all private lodging and shared guest areas in our facility.
- Following the guidance issued by the CDC, all housekeeping staff are receiving ongoing training updates on enhanced sanitation protocols, including additional full cleanings of our public spaces multiple times throughout the day and night.
- We continue to work with our hospital partners, including the VCU Health Infectious Disease Department, to stay current on the situation and potential changes that may impact our guests.
- We are not lodging guests who are exhibiting flu-like symptoms or have been in contact with anyone who has tested positive for the virus. When possible, we are pre-screening guests (at the point of referral) to determine if they (1) have traveled to an at-risk area in the last 14 days, or been in contact with anyone who has; or (2) are experiencing any COVID-19, influenza or respiratory symptoms (cough, fever, chills, body aches). We will not be housing anyone that may exemplify such symptoms. Signage regarding the above policy is posted on all exterior doors of our facility. This policy also applies to all staff, volunteers and other individuals (e.g., vendors, contractors, etc.) who wish to enter our building.
- Signage is also posted internally to reinforce proper hygiene and sanitation protocols as put forth by CDC. Extra hand sanitizers, soap and gloves are available throughout our facility. Face masks are available upon request; however, the CDC does not recommend them for healthy individuals. For staff and volunteers, we have adopted a social distancing policy (no handshaking, avoid congregate or mass gatherings, and maintain distance from others when possible). In addition, we have currently suspended all tours and group volunteering, including meal volunteers, through March 27.
During this unprecedented and challenging time, the mission of The Doorways remains unchanged and we need your support more than ever. If you are able and willing, consider helping The Doorways in one of the ways outlined below. We will continue to serve those who depend on us for access to lifesaving and specialty medical care. We will remain vigilant in monitoring the status of all illnesses that could present a threat to the health and well-being of the entire Doorways family. If you have any questions please feel free to call or email us directly. Thank you to each and every one of you for your continued support.
President & CEO
Update as of 3/18/2020