Director of Development
The Doorways, whose mission is to provide lodging and support to patients and their loved ones travelling to Richmond for specialized medical treatment, is seeking a highly motivated, results-driven fundraising leader to serve as its Director of Development. This position is responsible for creating and implementing the overall development plan and overseeing all fundraising activities with a primary personal focus on major gifts, event sponsorships and capital campaigns. This position is a member of the Executive Staff and reports directly to the President/CEO.
The successful candidate will strengthen The Doorways’ ability to fulfill its mission, improve policy and processes, steward stakeholders, fundraise tenaciously, communicate using brand standards and lead a team to do likewise. He/she must strive for excellence in all deliverables and be professional and confident in his/her approach to working with prospects, donors, community members and other stakeholders. Through the efforts of the Director, the organization’s visibility will be broadened, relationships with donors will be deepened and philanthropic support will be increased.
Key Responsibilities are:
- Create and implement an annual, comprehensive mission-centered development plan and budget to meet revenue goals.
- Be accountable for meeting the comprehensive fundraising goal including special events.
- Personally, manage and meet the goals of the major donor category. Develop and implement personalized strategies for major donors.
- Build a pipeline of new prospective donors. In collaboration with the President and CEO, identify, research and cultivate major donor prospects and build long-term relationships.
- Oversee the management of all special events, responsible for solicitation of key sponsorships, and management and recruitment of event committees.
- Lead and manage the development committee. Keep committee, participants and staff on track and motivated to reach goals.
- As a member of the executive team, help devise and executive multi-year fundraising strategies to support the organization wide strategic plan.
- Build out a comprehensive planned giving program.
- Develop and lead the Capital Campaign when needed.
- Work with internal and external resources for management of communications on behalf of the organization including public relations, marketing and communications strategies and gift solicitation campaigns.
- Ensure that accurate and thorough records are maintained in donor database.
- Responsible for management and supervision the development team.
- Prepare regular reporting as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and 6+ years’ experience in fundraising at a leadership level.
- Individual must have direct and proven experience making a positive impact on an organization’s visibility, donor relations and philanthropic support. Must have a track record of meeting all fundraising goals.
- Individual must be able to quickly build strong relationships with a diverse group of donors and engage them in the mission of The Doorways.
- Individual must be strategic, creative, self-motivated, with excellent organizational and analytical skills. Must be able to manage multiple projects with strong attention to detail.
- Must be a team player with the ability to adapt to changing priorities. Must have successful experience working with volunteers, boards and committees.
- The individual must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; and have a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite. Strong working knowledge of a donor database is required.
Job Classification: Fund Development
Salary: Competitive based on experience
Benefits: Competitive Benefits Package
How to Apply: To apply please email cover letter with salary requirements and resume to [email protected]