The Doorways is seeking a Painter/Carpenter to join our maintenance team member with a positive attitude and a strong desire to help people in need, someone who can work well with others. We provide a competitive wage and benefits package.
A regular, full-time, hourly position is available. Must have reliable transportation. We are a 24/7 operation and open every day of the year. Scheduled hours for this position are Monday through Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm. These hours may be adjusted to better accommodate the organization and may occasionally include evening or weekend hours.
Reporting to the Facilities Maintenance Chief, the Painter/Carpenter will be responsible for helping maintain the existing building infrastructure and to keep building spaces functioning and operable at all times. Must be capable of preparing and applying various coatings to internal and external walls, floors, doors and cabinets. Other duties include general “handyman” skills, installation of suspended acoustical ceilings (small scale), dry wall construction/repair/patching/sanding, caulking, door and hardware replacement/adjustment, carpet removal/replacement, cabinet repair, curtain installation, roof and window sealing/repair, learning and performing minor repairs and preventative maintenance tasks on various mechanical and plumbing systems, fixtures and appliances. Also, the Painter/Carpenter will assist with installing or removing various other system components when necessary.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide and maintain a safe and healthy environment that meets standards requirements and provides for the safety of The Doorways personnel and houseguests.
- Perform monthly, preventative maintenance checks.
- Perform Work Order Requests
- Assists the Maintenance Chief with executing repair and small renovation projects as assigned.
- May be called upon at any time to handle emergency situations.
Essential Functions and Skills Requirements:
- Repair and replacement of metal stud plus gypsum wallboard assemblies
- Understand appropriate surface preparation and selection/application of sealants, primers, paints and finish coat materials for interior and exterior walls, floors, doors and cabinets.
- Remove/replace suspended acoustic ceilings (small-scale)
- Repair/replace faucets and flush valves
- Clear plumbing drains
- Replace receptacles, switches, and electrical fixtures
- Replace mechanical unit filters
- Replace defective locks
- Shovel snow and ice from exterior walkways during winter storms
- Standing, walking, bending, carrying, kneeling, stretching, and stooping.
- You must be able to occasionally lift or move up to 75 lbs. and erect scaffolding and staging to gain access to difficult areas.
- Climb ladders and stairs.
- Work in confined spaces.
- Work is performed inside and outside so you will be exposed to inclement weather conditions at times.
- Wear dust/fume respiratory protection gear.
- You must have experience with various
power and hand tools, preferably in performing work in a lodging or healthcare facility.
- At least 3 years’ experience in maintenance and/or equivalent in
painting and carpentry. Successful completion of a recognized painter’s apprenticeship/training program is a plus.
- Be computer literate and capable of using MS Office software, including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Possess a high school diploma or GED.
- Read, write, speak, and understand English.
- Pass a criminal background check.
- Possess a Virginia’s driver’s license and an acceptable driving record.
- Successful completion of a recognized Painters apprenticeship, training program, and/or Journeyman level painting is preferred.
Please be prepared to furnish three professional / non-family member references upon request.
Competitive based on experience and industry best practices.
Fully paid premiums for Health, Dental, and Life Insurance; Paid STD/LTD; Accrued Paid Time Off; Retirement Savings Plan.
How to Apply:
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter with salary requirements to email@example.com with Painter/Carpenter in the subject line.