This is a unique opportunity to use your mechanical trade skills to make a real difference in the lives of others. The Doorways is a 24/7 operation providing lodging and support for patients and their loved ones who must travel away from their homes to access life-saving, life-changing or specialized medical care in Richmond, VA.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Maintenance Chief is responsible for maintaining all of the mechanical systems and building infrastructure to keep them functioning and operable at all times. Duties include learning and performing repairs and preventative maintenance on various mechanical systems including pumps, boilers, valves, heat pumps, air handling units, cooling towers, compressors, motors and gears, hydronic and domestic piping unions and valves, all plumbing and drains, HVAC controls, electrical switchgear, electrical panels and shutoffs, various lighting fixtures and household appliances.
Also, the Maintenance Chief will lead with installing or removing various system components when necessary. Basic carpentry skills are required for drywall repairs, installing and removing doors, cabinets and fixtures, hanging pictures, clocks or any other wall mounted devices.
This position supervises two full-time and one part-time Facilities Maintenance Workers and may also supervise staff assigned to this section through our partnership with Senior Connections.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• May be called upon at any time to handle emergency situations.
• Provide and maintain a safe and healthy environment that meets standards requirements and provides for the safety of The Doorways personnel and house-guests.
• Maintain a log of unusual incidents and report these to the Operations Manager.
• Meet at regular intervals with the Operations Manager to discuss necessary work, personnel policies and issues and any changes, upcoming plans for The Doorways, special events etc.
• Inform Front Desk Coordinator of any schedule changes or house issues.
• Performs monthly preventative maintenance checks and schedules outside maintenance contractors to provide services as necessary.
• Attends weekly staff meeting with leadership team.
• Assists the Director of Operations with executing renovation and major projects as assigned.
• Must be computer literate and capable of using MS Office software, including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
Essential Functions and Skills Required:
• Replaces filters on heat pumps or air handling units on PM cycle
• Installs overhead water-source heat pumps
• Diagnoses and repairs water-source heat pumps and controls
• Replaces burned-out or defective overhead lamps in ceiling light fixtures, interior and exterior
• Installs locks, latches, hinges or other hardware on doors and cabinets
• Installs / replaces electrical outlets, light switches, light fixtures as necessary
• Performs lock-out, tag-out whenever electrical circuits need to be shut down
• Lubricates and runs emergency generator as necessary, including PM cycle
• Lubricates other mechanical equipment on PM cycle
• Replaces VCT, sheet vinyl, or carpet as necessary
• Clears walkways and driving surfaces from snow and ice including parking deck and ramps
• Provides direction to contract technicians with locating or isolating systems that need to be serviced including elevators, boilers, cooling tower, air handling units, fire sprinkler, fire alarm, smoke detectors, etc.
• Informs Director of Operations when major tools, parts or equipment need to be ordered
• Performs other duties as required
• Employee will be required to see, hear and use hands and fingers
• Must be able to sit, stand, walk, bend, carry, kneel, stretch, stoop
• Must be able to periodically lift or move up to 75 lbs.
• Work is performed both indoors and outside in varying weather conditions
• Exposure to a variety of chemicals & cleaning agents on a regular basis
• Must be able to climb a ladder
• Must be able to work in confined spaces
• Must be able to work in kneeling position for extended periods
• Must be able to drive facility pick-up truck
• Must be able to use power and hand tools
Qualifications, Knowledge & Skills:
• Read and understand English
• At least ten years’ experience in maintenance
• Must be familiar with working power tools
• Experience with high-density residential, hospital or lodging industry preferred
• Associate Degree and/or skilled trade journeyman level experience required
• Must have clean driving record and pass a criminal background check
How to Apply: To apply please email cover letter and resume to [email protected] with Maintenance Chief in the subject line.