Volunteer and Outreach Manager
The Doorways is seeking a highly motivated, hospitality-minded individual to serve as our Volunteer and Outreach Manager. This position will be responsible for coordinating all Volunteer Services, including planning, organizing, recruiting, training, utilizing, and managing of all volunteers. Also, this position is also responsible for coordinating community outreach activities including organizing community fairs, community education sessions, and representing The Doorways within the community. The position is a member of the leadership team and reports directly to the Director of Development.
Key responsibilities are:
- Develops and implements a robust community outreach program to increase awareness of the organization in Richmond and surrounding communities.
- Recruits, leads, manages, and coordinates the overall volunteer program on behalf of The Doorways, including individuals and groups. Responsible for training, scheduling, retention and dispersion of volunteers to respective departments.
- Manages all communication and logistics for all collection drives and in-kind donations.
- Maintains a current volunteer manual on job duties, policies and procedures.
- Tracks volunteer hours for all individuals, groups, committees, event volunteers and in-kind donations.
- Represents The Doorways at community outreach events and builds relationship with relevant community and affinity groups.
- Manages and participates in community fairs and educational program for the recruitment of volunteers for all aspects of The Doorways operations and fund-raising events.
- Plans and managers Volunteer Brunch once a year as a “Thank You” event for the volunteers.
- Manages the Young Professional’s Council and supports the group to organize and promote events, outreach and fundraising efforts.
- Maintains a community presence through membership in various civic and professional groups.
- Updates the donor database to reflect interactions with donors and volunteers including communications sent and received, meetings, volunteer hours etc. Conducts analysis and creates tracking reports.
- Produces timely and appropriate donor acknowledgment letters for all in-kind donors as part of overall donor relations and stewardship.
- Seeks and manages speaking engagement opportunities to represent The Doorways and its mission.
- Tracks and communicates all tribute gifts reports as necessary.
- In coordination with Special Events and Fundraising Manager, supports all special and third-party events including volunteer management and assignments, administrative support, data-entry, and in-kind donations solicitation.
- Other duties as assigned.
Competencies of a successful candidate:
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to relate to diverse groups of people.
- Must be able to network and make connections on behalf of The Doorways.
- Must have excellent writing skills.
- Must be comfortable with public speaking and effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing.
- Must have strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple projects at the same time.
- Must be able to work collaboratively with entire staff and adjust smoothly to changing priorities.
- Must be able to accomplish projects independently.
- Personal attributes: outgoing, enthusiastic, flexible, resourceful, team player, follow through and commitment, self-starter, perseverance, empathetic, and ability to motivate and manage others.
- Experience with Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge and Greater Giving event software strongly preferred.
- Degree from four-year accredited college in human relations, public relations, development or fundraising, or comparable experience. 2+ years’ experience in volunteer recruitment and management is required. Experience in event management and social media is a plus.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to sit for extended periods and may be required to stand for an extended period. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move items weighing up to 25 pounds. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position. Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. This position is required to work some evenings and occasional weekends.
Job Classification: Volunteer Management, Volunteer Recruitment, Outreach, Individual and Group Engagement,
Salary: Salary will be commensurate with experience and industry best practices.
Benefits: This position is eligible for full benefits including: Health and Dental Insurance; Paid Time Off; Retirement Savings Plan
How to Apply: To apply please email cover letter with salary requirements and resume to email@example.com with Volunteer and Outreach Manager in the subject line.