What is The Doorways?
The Doorways provides affordable accommodations for people who live outside of Richmond and need to be near our area hospitals.
Where is The Doorways located?
The Doorways is located at 612 East Marshall Street in Richmond, Virginia. The building is on the corner of 7th and Marshall Streets and is 5 blocks from the VCU Hospitals.
Who are your referring partner hospitals?
- VCU Health
- Veterans Affairs Medical Center
- Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU
- Virginia Treatment Center for Children
- Sheltering Arms Hospital
- Retreat Hospital
- Veritas Collaborative
How do I get referred to The Doorways?
You and your family members can be referred to The Doorways if you meet our lodging criteria and your doctor provides you with a referral.
What are the lodging criteria for staying at The Doorways?
- Guests must be referred by a partner hospital or doctor
- Guests must live at least 30 miles outside of the Richmond area
- Guests must have an adult caregiver remain with the patient throughout the entire stay
- Lodging and services are not intended to be long-term or permanent; patients awaiting transplant are allowed to stay longer
- Compliance with The Doorways Health Screening Questionnaire
How much does it cost to stay at The Doorways?
Guests are asked to provide a refundable $30 security deposit at check-in. In addition, guests are asked to make a suggested donation of $15 per guest per night. Upon a completed check-out, the deposit is refunded and may be used to offset any lodging expenses. No one is ever turned away for their inability to pay.
What if I need to stay longer than the doctor originally planned?
The doctor and/or hospital can issue you a new referral for an extension of your original planned stay.
How do I get back and forth from The Doorways to VCU Health?
The hospital shuttle provides free transportation to and from The Doorways each day.
What if I need transportation outside of the regular shuttle hours?
There is an after-hours transportation service that is available from 5 PM until 8 AM. You can call this service directly from The Doorways or the hospital to arrange your pick-up.